Recipe by LARavenscroft
This is a gluten free pie crust recipe that I got when I attended a gluten free cooking class put on by my local grocery store. A lady that I work with who is an excellent pie baker said that this crust was very good. She had no idea that it was gluten free. I use Featherlight Rice Flour Mix for my flour mix. Makes a two crust pie or two single pie crusts. Cook time is for a baked pie shell. Refrigeration time not included.
- 2 1⁄4 cups gluten-free flour (plus additional flour for rolling)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum, rounded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mediuim bowl, blend all of the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Cut in the shortening until coarse crumbs form.
- In a small bowl, beat the vinegar and egg together with a fork.
- Add the ice water and combine.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a fork and keep blending until the door forms a ball.
- Work a little with your hands to obtain a smooth texture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or more before rolling out.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out on waxed paper or plastic wrap dusted with flour.
- Roll out to a 11" circle, using as much flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Place the dough in a 9" pie plate.
- Repeat with second piece of dough and cut steam vents in top if making a two crust pie.
- Fill with filling, and place second piece of pastry on top, adjust to fit.
- Roll under and crimp pastry.
- Bake as directed for filling used.
- For a baked single crust, prick the pastry with a fork on sides and bottom.
- Bake the crust in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Cool before filling.