Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Celiac.com - "This recipe comes to us from Ellen Allard. Note: Make at your own risk--this recipe has not yet been perfected and comes out a bit chewy inside, but crispy outside. Please help us perfect this recipe by sending us any improvements that you make to it."
- 14.79 ml yeast
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 295.73 ml warm water
- 473.18 ml rice flour
- 158.51 ml potato starch
- 78.07 ml tapioca starch
- 4.92 ml xanthan gum
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 59.16 ml canola oil
- Proof the yeast with the sugar and warm water.
- Mix the white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and salt.
- Combine the 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon sugar, egg whites, and canola oil.
- Add yeast mixture. Beat to mix.
- Add half of the flour mixture and beat until smooth. Add rest of the flour mixture and beat three minutes.
- Spoon into English muffin rings sprayed with oil spray and let rise about 45-60 minutes for regular yeast and 25-35 minutes for quick rise yeast.
- Bake 375F degrees for 20-22 minutes.
These came out great! Nice and crispy on the outside. They are just a bit chewy on the inside. I'm going to try tweaking the recipe a bit next time I make them, but for a first try with a gluten free recipe, this is definitely a keeper!! I actually got the recipe from celiac.com and was going to post it here and found I didn't need to! :) My husband likes them and he's not even gluten free!
These are AMAZING! The only thing I changed was using Expandex Modified Tapioca Starch instead of regular--I've found a lot of success with this. I tried making rolls with this recipe, and they were delicious!! SO happy to have found this great recipe!! :)