Recipe by Jensurf38
This is the result of the many trials and tweaks which are often a part of gluten free cooking. When I got my celiac diagnosis 6 years ago it seemed there was nothing to eat. Now thanks to all the gluten free products on the market I can enjoy a yummy dish like this anytime. It is easy to prepare and tastes even better the next day. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup bob's red mill gluten-free flour (or other GF flour)
- 4 slices udi brand gluten free bread (or other GF bread)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 (24 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (GF of course)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pour 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish.
- Slice eggplant into 6 equal slices.
- Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper.
- Pulse bread in a blender to make bread crumbs (I have only used the Udi brand for this - all GF breads are not equal so I hope you can get this kind because it is really good -- especially compared to some of the others).
- Combine the bread crumbs with the garlic powder.
- Spread bread crumbs out in a flat dish (a plate works too).
- Combine the egg and milk in a dish.
- Sprinkle GF baking flour in another dish.
- Dip the eggplant in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture and then in the bread crumbs (very important - do not skip the flour step or else your bread crumbs won't adhere to the eggplant- trust me on this).
- Heat a little less than half of the oil over medium heat in a large pan and add 3 of the eggplant slices. Fry on one side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drizzle some of the oil on the top sides of the eggplant, turn and cook another 3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant slices (if you put all the oil in the pan right away the first eggplant slices will soak up all the oil and there won't be any remaining for the next batch - I know this from experience!).
- Place the slices in the prepared pan.
- Pour remaining sauce over eggplant.
- Sprinkle cheeses on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly.