1/1 Photo of Gluten Free Eclairs With Crème Patisserie and Chocolate G
1 hr 25 mins
The basic dough recipe uses the Sun Flour Mills brand Gluten Free Pastry Flour Blend. The cream filling is from Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé and my Chocolate Ganache recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart. NOTE: The pastry cream (custard filling) should be made 2 hours to two days in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Creme Patisserie (Pastry Cream or Custard filling) Make in advance
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 large eggs (yolks only)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Pate A Choux (Cream Puff or Eclair Dough)
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups butter (or Nucoa Dairy Free Margarine)
- 3 cups of all purpose pastry flour (Sun Flour Mills brand GF Pastry Flour Blend)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 12 eggs
- 1CREME PATISSERIE: (Make 2-24 hours in advance of eclairs.) In a medium saucepan, combine milk, 1/4 cup of the sugar, vanilla and salt. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Set aside.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- 3Whisking constantly, slowly pour about a 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Continue adding milk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until its fully incorporated.
- 4Pour everything back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 2-4 minutes or until it thickens.
- 5Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter, and beat on medium speed until the butter melts and the mixture cools, about 5 minutes.
- 6Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- 8In a large non-stick pot, combine water and butter. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat.
- 9Sift together the Pastry Flour, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.
- 10Stir into boiling mixture until the dough comes together in a large mass and then transfer the dough to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 11Transfer dough to a large pastry bag and pipe into 3 inch x 1 inch rectangles.
- 12Bake for 20-25 minutes or until centers are dry.
- 13Let cool, then split in half, length-wise.
- 14Beat the refrigerated custard on low speed until smooth (you can also whisk by hand), fill a large piping bag or Ziplock baggie with custard.
- 15FOR CHOCOLATE GANACHE: Combine the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the milk to a boil. Remove from the heat and immediately pour over the chocolate and butter. Stir with a wire whisk until the chocolate and butter melt and are smooth. Place the ganache in a pie tin or other bowl long enough to dip the eclairs inches.
- 16TO ASSEMBLE: Slice the éclairs in half, horizontally. Dip each top half upside down into the ganache, coating the tops with chocolate. Turn the dipped half right side up and place on a wire rack to set.
- 17Snip one corner of the Ziplock or piping bag, about 3/4 to 1-inch wide and pipe the custard into the bottom of each éclair, making sure you fill the bottoms with enough custard to mound above the pastry, top with chocolate iced top halves.
- 18Store airtight and serve that day. If there are leftovers they can be frozen, but in the name of freshness, I prefer to slice and freeze just the empty eclair pastry and then thaw and fill when I need to serve it.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Eclairs With Crème Patisserie and Chocolate G
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 455.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 246.6 mg
- Sodium 361.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: