Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in an old French cook book, it uses no flour (hence the gluten free) and its so delicious, that it just melts in the mouth. I've added a little more chocolate and less butter. Be warned no matter how much you make, you'll never have any left over! (**important**-gluten can be found in some cheaper brands of chocolate please check carefully)
- Preheat the oven 180c.
- Break chocolate into pieces and melt with the butter in a bowl over hot water mix till smooth. Leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg whites till really stiff and slowly add the sugar (this will add volume to the egg whites).
- Fold in (with a metal spoon) the egg yolks and finally the chocolate mixture.
- (Can add almond meal to stop cake sinking).
- Pour into a buttered (leak proof) 9inch cake tin or any oven dish lined with baking/grease proof paper.
- Bake for around 60 mins (test middle of cake with clean knife. if not moist its done!).
- Leave to cool if you can wait that long and lock the doors!
I made this for a group of friends, including someone with celiac's disease. Good for a gluten-free recipe (and for Passover), but not a super recipe for people who can eat flour. A bit eggy. But it tasted very moist, which I can't say for many flour based cakes. It was all eaten up.
I followed your recipe exactly. It was easy to make. And so good.
This cake is so decadent.What a treat for celiacs!