Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
So tasty, like it has cheese sauce or dairy. I serve this with a salad on the side. This is a personal recipe I created.
- 3 1⁄2 cups brown rice pasta (or other wheat free pasta, fusilli shape, cooked to aldente, other shapes may be used like penne)
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, rinsed of ice (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup rice flour (to be gluten free)
- 2 cups chicken broth (or more if needed)
- 1⁄4 cup helmans olive oil mayonnaise (to be soy free)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water (in water not veg broth to be soy free)
- 3⁄4 cup bread, torn into crumbs (optional, wheat free bread only from health food stores)
- paprika (not the hot kind)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a shallow baking dish I use 9" x 13".
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add onion & sliced mushrooms, cook until tender then remove from pan.
- Add 2 more tablespoons olive oil to pan and stir in flour whisking until smooth and frothy.
- Gradually add broth until it forms a sauce consistency.
- Then stir in the mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Mix in drained tuna, mushroom, onions & thawed peas if using.
- Spread pasta in baking dish and pour sauce to cover. (Will get dry pieces if some are left uncovered).
- Tear bread into crumbs and sprinkle on top if using sift paprika over entire pan to give a lovely colour and drizzle the additional olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until slightly browned on top.
This was delicious! I can't have dairy, so this was excellent! It felt good to make tuna casserole from scratch. I usually make the tuna helper...lol. My husband I don't like mushrooms, so I substituted a cup of celery. I will definitely make this again.
Yum!! My husband is very picky when it comes to gluten-free dishes and he loved this. He got thirds! I did make two substitutions to accommodate my daughter's food allergies (egg, wheat, and dairy). I used Quinoa pasta and substitute the mayonnaise with Grapeseed oil Veganiase.
This recipe is amazing! I have actually used the sauce to make a GFDF Tator Tot casserole as well, and it was so good my family requested it two nights in a row. Thank you for giving this GFDF girl some real comfort food!