Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My aunt makes the BEST eggs benedict for special occasions. My family cried at the prospect of never enjoying it again, hence this reconstruction. Use this with gluten-free english muffins, poached eggs, and ham or other tasty addition for your own adaptation. Note that both the lemon and the hot "butter" serve to generally cook the egg yolk. Be careful to drizzle the "butter" slowly to temper the sauce. If you overheat the yolks - either by pouring the "butter" too fast or keeping over heat too long - the yolks can curdle.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 small lemon (abt 2T lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 4 ounces Earth Balance natural buttery spread, melted until bubbling hot
- Separate 3 eggs.
- Add yolks to blender and whiz for 30 seconds.
- Add salt, white pepper, couple shakes of tabasco. Squeeze one small lemon (abt 2 T lemon juice) into the blender.
- Whiz again for about 30 seconds.
- Melt the Earth Balance (non-dairy buttery stuff) in a microwave or pan until bubbling hot.
- While keeping the blender going slowly drizzle Earth Balance into yolk mixture.
- Serve while still warm.
- If you*really* need to hold it, supposedly you can put it in a double boiler over your lowest heat setting, bring the water to a boil and then turn it off -- Leave the sauce in the top pan with the lid on. The husband, however, tried to do that on Mother's day and it separated -- .