Recipe by mjerusha
GF flours are so expensive (especially in Panama), so I'm trying to get a good corn based pancake. I've been tinkering with this recipe, and I'm posting it here for safe keeping. It's a work in progress. Here in Panama they have what they call crema de maiz or cream of corn. It is a very fine ground corn flour. Masa harina that you use for tamales might work as well.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Wonderful recipe! So easy - no exotic ingredients, and VERY tasty! I halved the recipe and used honey instead of sugar, but that's the only change I made. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting!
Made for Healthy Choices ABC.
- 2 cups cornflour, could use Corn meal, but would have to adjust the water (or Crema de Maiz)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil.
- Mix corn flour and corn meal.
- Slowly pour water OVER cornmeal mixture. Make paste as you go.
- Add everything else and mix well. The corn meal obviously make a coarser grit pancake. You could boil more (like 3 cups of water) and cook the cornmeal like grits to get maybe a different texture also.