Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a treat for people who cannot eat wheat. These are great warm. Also like the real thing.
- 300 g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 4 g dry yeast or 8 g compressed yeast
- 20 -40 ml apple juice concentrate
- 330 ml tepid water (OR 15g Sugar and 360ml Tepid Water)
- Sift flour in a large bowl.
- Dissolve yeast and apple in tepid water.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Beat to a smooth consistency.
- Brush metal egg rings with oil.
- Heat rings in a frypan.
- Three quarters fill the egg rings with the mixture.
- Cook at low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until surface holes appear.
- Cover pan and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Toast and add your favourite choice of toppings.
didn't taste like crumpets, although they weren't horrible.. we want to have something like crumpets. they were like bread things??
This recipe was an absolute disaster. I followed the recipe and quantities exactly and I ended up with a thick stodgy dough. The dough itself was tasteless and unappealing. I thought I could resurrect it by cooking it like damper, but it was only fit for feeding to the dog.
Wow! This is the best wheat free crumpet recipe I've ever had! I love crumpets and these taste great! Try them with butter and honey with your afternoon tea.