Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Another recipe from the great gluten free crockpot cookbook. "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow", by Stephanie O'dea. Her comments, " The flavors in this are rich and distinguished. It's completely fat-free until you add the cream, which is optional. To cut back on cream consumption, I measured out 1 tablespoon per family member and we stirred it in ourselves at the table. This is a gorgeous soup... I'd most definitely serve this to a guest"
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 yams, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh grated ginger (1-inch piece)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 14 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon optional per family member heavy whipping cream
- Use a 6 quart slow cooker.
- put canned pumpkin in stoneware, add chopped vegetables.
- Add spices and sugar.
- Pour in vegetable broth and water, stirring well.
- cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Carefully use a handheld blender to soupify about three quarters of the soup. If you have little ones in the house with texture issues, feel free to blend it all.
- Serve with a bit of cream to stir inches.