Recipe by adiadv1
I've only tried tilapia, but any type of fish will work. Before frying the fish, I fry potatoes and onion strips in the oil. This batter also works well for shrimp, chicken, cheese sticks and veggies.
Top Review by jupiter_talk
This was a darn good recipe for gluten-free. I used gluten-free all purpose flour plus 1/2 tsp baking powder. The batter is thin initially but it does thicken as it stands. I also added a teaspoon of salt in addition to the Old Bay. They fried beautifully. Yum.
- 3⁄4 cup gluten-free baking mix, Bisquick
- 3⁄4 cup seltzer water (more if needed) or 3⁄4 cup gluten-free beer (more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash onion salt
- 4 fish fillets, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup gluten-free baking mix, for dusting fish (Bisquick)
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a deep frying pan, add oil to about 1 inch deep.
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Wash fish and pat dry.
- Cut fish in half lengthwise.
- Dust with Bisquick.
- Dip each filet in the batter and place in hot oil.
- Do not crowd pan.
- Fry until golden brown.