1 hr 30 mins
Basic dough recipe uses the Sun Flour Mills brand Gluten Free Pastry Flour, but I like to use the filling recipes from Rose Levy's Cake Bible. This recipe is posted with Rose's basic filling, plus several other flavored cream options. This gluten free dough makes such amazing cream puffs that it's hard to believe they're gluten free. Storing and shelf life are short though, so plan to make them the day you'll be serving them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Pate a Choux (Cream Puff or Eclair Dough)
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups butter (or Nucoa Dairy Free Margarine)
- 3 cups of all purpose pastry flour (Sun Flour Mills brand GF Pastry Flour Blend)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 12 eggs
Basic Cream Filling
OPTIONAL Flavored Cream Fillings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup raspberry puree or 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1Cream Puffs:.
- 2In a large non-stick pot, combine water and butter. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat.
- 3Sift together the Pastry Flour, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.
- 4Stir into boiling mixture until the dough comes together in a large mass and then transfer the dough to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 5Use a large cookie scoop to drop dough onto a well greased baking sheet. For profiteroles, use mini or small scoop.
- 6Bake Cream Puffs at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and centers are dry. Cool on wire racks before slicing and filling.
- 7For Whipped Cream Filling/Frosting:.
- 8To bowl of stand mixer, add whipping cream, vanilla and sugar. Chill everything, including the whisk attachment, in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Beat mixture until stiff peaks form then pipe into sliced puffs or profiteroles.
- 9For chocolate filling: Add cocoa powder and extra sugar to bowl with basic ingredients and chill for a full hour to allow the cocoa to dissolve, then beat until stiff peaks form.
- 10For berry fillings: Make the basic cream as above, beating only until soft peak stage. Add raspberry or strawberry puree a little at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Cream Puffs or Profiteroles With Flavored Cream Opti
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.7
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 205.6 mg
- Sodium 321.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: