Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Basic dough recipe uses the Sun Flour Mills brand Gluten Free Pastry Flour, but I like to use the filling recipes from Rose Levy's Cake Bible. This recipe is posted with Rose's basic filling, plus several other flavored cream options. This gluten free dough makes such amazing cream puffs that it's hard to believe they're gluten free. Storing and shelf life are short though, so plan to make them the day you'll be serving them.
Pate a Choux (Cream Puff or Eclair Dough)
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter (or Nucoa Dairy Free Margarine)
- 3 cups of all purpose pastry flour (Sun Flour Mills brand GF Pastry Flour Blend)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 12 eggs
Basic Cream Filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
OPTIONAL Flavored Cream Fillings
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry puree or 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry puree
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (in shaker, for garnish)
- Cream Puffs:.
- In a large non-stick pot, combine water and butter. Bring to a rolling boil over medium heat.
- Sift together the Pastry Flour, xanthan gum, salt and sugar.
- Stir into boiling mixture until the dough comes together in a large mass and then transfer the dough to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Use a large cookie scoop to drop dough onto a well greased baking sheet. For profiteroles, use mini or small scoop.
- Bake Cream Puffs at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and centers are dry. Cool on wire racks before slicing and filling.
- For Whipped Cream Filling/Frosting:.
- To bowl of stand mixer, add whipping cream, vanilla and sugar. Chill everything, including the whisk attachment, in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Beat mixture until stiff peaks form then pipe into sliced puffs or profiteroles.
- For chocolate filling: Add cocoa powder and extra sugar to bowl with basic ingredients and chill for a full hour to allow the cocoa to dissolve, then beat until stiff peaks form.
- For berry fillings: Make the basic cream as above, beating only until soft peak stage. Add raspberry or strawberry puree a little at a time, and beat until stiff peaks form.