Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This simple, rustic savory bread is delicious served alone as a sneck, or with stews.
- 1⁄8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄8 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a square 8-inch cake pan with a little oil.
- Mix the cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Add the soymilk, beaten eggs and oil. Mix tohether all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the greased cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. The bread should be firm to the touch when ready. Serve either warm or cold, cut into squares.
No wheat, dairy or sugar, but delicious, fluffy and very simple to make. I poured the batter into a hot oiled skillet and baked for 20 minutes, but 15 might have sufficed. I am tempted to try this in the microwave too. Thanks!