Recipe by zepharum
This recipe is originally from "Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food For Kids" but has been altered. Totally delicious!
Top Review by hollygollygee
I am so confused by the ratings on this. The taste and texture of the batter is good, BUT the batter will not stay on the dog. I tried some with the extra rice flour and some without...didn't matter. I had a hard time getting the batter to stick to the dogs raw and then after I cooked them, when we tried to eat them, the batter just fell off in huge slabs. If you want to sit and eat a corn dog with a fork, these will work, but as for a real corndog on a stick sort of thing...it doesn't really work.
- 1 lb gluten-free hot dog
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca starch
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 2⁄3 cup cornflour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 beaten egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- extra rice flour
- shortening (for deep frying) or cooking oil (for deep frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat hot dogs dry with a paper towel. Insert a wooden skewer into each hot dog.
- In a pie pan, combine the rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, corn flour, sugar, baking powder and dry mustard.
- In another bowl combine the egg, milk and 2 tbsp oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. The batter will be thick.
- Roll the hot dogs in the extra rice flour and then coat in the batter. Deep fry and dry on paper towels.