Recipe by Mia in Germany
Nice variation of the usual hazelnut macaroons. I found it in a German tv programm journal.
Top Review by Deantini
Tasty little things, for sure! I halved the recipe and omitted the rum/sugar mix, otherwise made as stated. Quick to make with an intense chocolate/nut flavour and a fairly low calorie (60 cal) to help that sweet tooth. Made for Sweet Traditions Tag.
- 4 egg whites
- 150 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 250 g ground hazelnuts
- 75 g dark chocolate
- 100 g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees (280 when fan assisted).
- Finely chop or grind the dark chocolate.
- Beat egg whites until stiff (if you make a cut thorough it the cut must remain visible).
- Slowly beat in sugar, vanilla and instant coffee.
- Carefully fold in the ground hazelnuts, then carefully fold in the ground chocolate. Don't overbeat, the batter could collaps!
- With two teaspoons gently place little heaps onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake ca. 25 minutes.
- Stir a little hot water into castor sugar, then add rum and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Carefully pull the parchment with the hot macaroons off the cookie sheet, brush with rum glaze and let cool on a rack.
- Store in an airtight container only after they are completely cool!