Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
The texture and flavor are exactly the same as "real" coconut cake. Don't tell your non-gluten-conscious guests that it's gluten-free and they'll never know!
- betty crocker gluten free yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) bag sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) can sweetened condensed coconut milk (directions below) or 1 cup coconut syrup (directions below)
- 1 (8 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- Bake cake mix according to package directions and let cool. Turn cake out of pan(s) and poke holes with a fork all the way through the cake in many places. Pour canned coconut syrup or homemade coconut syrup over and let it set for several hours in the fridge. Ice with frosting and press sweetened shredded coconut into the frosting on top and sides.
- Homemade Coconut Syrup.
- 1 cup coconut milk (the kind you drink plain, not the canned kind).
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Mix all ingredients. Heat gently until the texture of a light syrup.