Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Gluten-free version of a childhood favorite. If you can get gluten-free oats go ahead and use them instead of the quinoa flakes if you prefer. I am just guessing at the servings, you can make the cookies as large or small as you like, the number you get depends on the size you make.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons gluten-free cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quinoa, the flakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Keep at a boil for one minute, then remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in the quinoa flakes and nuts (if using).
- Drop hot mixture into desired size piles onto wax or parchment paper. Let cool.
- Once cooled and set, remove cookies from paper and store in an airtight container.
Well, well, well. I'm sorry I can't give 5 stars for what the recipe SHOULD be. The 5 stars is because the results of my massacre WERE excellent. Yes, the cookies are almost gone. Addicting little buggers. For starters, quinoa flakes, which I have seen in the past, could NOT be located anywhere. GRR. I used regular oatmeal. Dh thinks I should have used quick cooking; I disagree - I like the chewiness. THEN, I boil the mixture for 1 minute & add to the oats. Take a wee taste - kind of bitter. OMG, I didn't add the sugar!!! Please send me back to remedial cooking 101. Not wanting to dump out what I had, I added 1 1/2c powdered sugar! I didn't have to worry about it not dissolving like granulated sugar. I cut it back thinking it's a little more 'compact'? It worked!! I mixed it in, used a little ice cream scoop & made 24 little blobs of happiness. I probably made a gluten free recipe gluten filled. :( I'm sorry I botched it all so badly. But in the end, it was a yummy recipe. WooWOOO! Made for the Aussie/NZ Swap 5/09.