Recipe by April in DE
These gluten-free chocolate chip scones with cinnamon sugar topping are delicious with a piping hot cup of coffee. Adapted from JoyOfBaking.com.
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk or mix ingredients together until well-combined.
- Cut butter into very small pieces. Blend butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or two butter knives.
- Stir in chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
- Whisk buttermilk and vanilla extract together in a small cup before adding it into the mixture. Stir until the dough comes together, but do not over-mix.
- Transfer dough to a cool, floured surface and knead it four to five times. Pat the dough into a circle approximately 7 inches round and 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut the dough into eighths.
- Make an egg wash by combining one well-beaten egg with 1 tablespoon of milk. Brush wash over the tops of the scones.
- Make cinnamon sugar by combining granulated white sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of the scones.
- Transfer scones to a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into one of the scones comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.