I got this recipe given by a friend who makes these every year for Christmas and for other occasions. I wanted to try a gluten free version for my daughter and they turned out great! They are super easy to make. They make take some time to make by forming the balls and then to dip them into the chocolate, but they are so worth it. I used 1 box of Arrowhead Mills Vanilla cake Mix and added about 1/4 Cup of Cocoa Powder to the batter to make it chocolate and it tasted fine. The BonBons may be quite a rich chocolate taste, so you only need a few to give into that chocolate craving!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Making the Chocolate Cake Balls
- 18 ounces gluten-free chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup jelly (I use Apricot because it doesn't have any seeds to worry about)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For The Dipping Chocolate
- 1Make cake mix according to the box's instrucions. Remove from oven and allow to completely cool.
- 2In a large bowl, crumble the entire cake.
- 3In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the powdered sugar, the jelly, cocoa poweder, and vanilla. Continue to stir until thorougly mixed and melted.
- 4Pour the chocolate mixture over the crumbled cake and stir well.
- 5Roll into individual balls. When I make these, I keep them on the smaller side and come up with about 60 balls.
- 6Begin to prepare your dipping chocolate. In a medium size sauce pan, combine the butter and chocolate chips and add the powderd sugar. Stir on med/low heat until completely melted. You don't want to have the heat too high or it may burn the chocolate, you just need it warm enough to melt it. If your stove is on the hotter side, then keep it on low to melt it. You may need to add some more butter by tablespoons if the chocolate is not smooth enough. When I made the dipping chocolate it came out a very smooth and glaze like mixture.
- 7Using 2 large soup spoons dip the individual balls in and completly coat the ball and lay them on a sheet pan covered with wax paper. These take about 10 minutes to set on the wax paper and be ready to chill. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Chocolate Bonbons
Serving Size: 1 (711 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.3
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 28.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free chocolate cake mix