1/1 Photo of Gluten Free Chicken Rice a Roni Dinner
Chef# 616082's Note:
My favourite idea from Bette Hagman's books (and I got lots) was Rice a Roni. It was one of the things I missed the most when we went gluten free. This recipe, with her suggestion, is identical to the one I made with gluten. It's a great week night dinner, as it's fast, healthy and in one pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces gluten-free pasta, spaghetti, broken in one inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 4 carrots, chopped fine
- 3 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped fine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces
- 8 -10 ounces spinach, chopped (optional)
- 1Place broken spaghetti on dry cookie sheet and place in 400°F oven shaking every couple of minutes until it is brown and smells nutty, usually between 5 to 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- 2In a deep pan with a lid or a dutch oven on medium, heat butter and oil until bubbly then add onions, carrots, and celery. Salt the vegetables to help them release their liquids and cook until onions are translucent. Add the poultry seasoning, pepper and the dry rice and cook, stirring constantly until the rice is coated, about one minute.
- 3Add the pasta, the stock, the bay leaves, zucchini and the chicken, stir and cover. Bring to a boil then turn heat down to medium low and cook for 15 minutes. Check to see that it has enough fluid, if not add a 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking, covered until rice is done, about five more minutes.
- 4If you like spinach, add it now and cook until it wilts down.
- 5I stir in a couple of tablespoons of butter at the end for the flavour and shine. Remove the bay leaves and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Chicken Rice a Roni Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.3
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 738.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free chicken stock