Recipe by Daidreams
One of my favorite dishes is Chicken Marsala, and it's one that I make pretty frequently. I often share my recipes with my sister in law, as well as a small group of friends on Facebook. My sister in law said that because of my brother's recent diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes, she was trying to convert as many of his favorite recipes into GLUTEN FREE recipes. This is one that I make whenever I see my brothers. I've also started doing my francaise this way.
Top Review by Susan R.
I'm gluten intolerant so when I found this I thought I'd give it a try. Even though the ingredients are simple, it's packed with flavor! And it's so easy to make. I'll make this over and over again.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sweet marsala wine
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (mixed with a tbsp cornstarch if you like a thicker sauce) (optional) or 2 tablespoons milk (mixed with a tbsp cornstarch if you like a thicker sauce) (optional)
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Split each chicken breast through the middle to make 2 pieces. ( I used tenders that were on sale, and pounded them out. PERFECT portion size!) Place plastic wrap over them and pound each one flat using a meat tenderizer/mallet until they are about a quarter inch thick. Season with a good amount of salt and pepper on both sides of each piece. (I often use lemon pepper instead, also adding some to the cornstarch.) Place some flour on a plate and and dredge each piece of chicken in it. ( I use cornstarch. GLUTEN FREE and gives a nicer crisp IMO ).
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and when the oil is hot fry each piece of chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until they are golden brown (this may require you to do this in 2 batches). Remove chicken and place them on your serving platter covering them with foil. Delicately pat off any residual oil with paper towels.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add butter and mushrooms. Saute mushrooms for 4-5 minutes, seasoning them with salt and pepper lightly. Add marsala wine, dry white wine, cream, and chicken stock. Allow the liquid to reduce slightly; approximately 3-4 minutes. When desired consistency is obtained, pour mushrooms and sauce over finished chicken. Serve with a side salad, or if you aren't intolerant, on a 1 cup bed of your favorite whole grain pasta. Enjoy!