Recipe by IrishEyes.NYC
My son is gluten and casein intolerant; I can't have wheat. These muffins are a great way to use up the "last bit at the bottom of the box" of GF cereal - or varieties we didn't care for. Feel free to adjust the fruit and extract/spice blends to taste. Frozen muffins can be defrosted at half power in microwave for about 3 minutes.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup potato starch
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca flour
- 4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup non-dairy milk substitute
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 medium pears or 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups cereal (I used Enjoy Life Cinnamon Crunch granola)
Streusel topping (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons margarine, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line two 12-muffin cup pan with paper cups.
- In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the raisins or dried cranberries and allow to soak for 10 minutes or until very plump; drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; make a well in the center.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk with the egg and vanilla; add the oil and cereal. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes or until the cereal absorbs the liquid.
- Meanwhile, mix streusel topping ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the milk and cereal mixture into the center of the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Fold in the chopped fruit, soaked and drained raisins or cranberries and spoon batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling cups about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Top with streusel mixture, if desired.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pans to wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Serve immediately or place in zipper bag and freeze for future use.