Recipe by jen74campbell
This an adaptation of a bread recipe by Bette Hagman. A few tweaks turned it into the best tasting (and smelling) GF/CF bread I've tried. So close to wheat bread, you'll never miss it!
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1⁄3 cup non-dairy powdered drink mix (I used a soy shake mix that was Casein free)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together sugar, water, and yeast in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine first six dry ingredients.
- Whisk together eggs, vinegar, and oil in a small bowl.
- When the yeast mix is frothy add the eggs and flour mixes. Blend until incorporated.
- If using a bread machine, spoon in the batter and set the machine for sweet bread with a medium crust. After the final kneading, smooth the top with a spatula. Turn out immediately when finished or it will turn soggy. Spread a little soy butter on the crust to keep it soft.
- If using and oven, cover batter and set in a warm space for about 30 minutes. Bake at 400°F for 50-55 minutes, covering after the first 10 minutes with foil. Turn out immediately and lightly butter the crust.