Recipe by Chrissyo
This recipe is from the Australian Women's Weekly - June 200. It is a breeze to make.
Top Review by 3RiversCook
I used white bean flour for besan and white rice for the cornflour. I like the cake. It was very good not xanthan gums and no tapioca flour which are in so many recipes and my family is allergic to. I used 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. I also added 2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup of coconut .
- 1 cup soya flour or 1 cup besan flour
- 3⁄4 cup maize cornflour (100% corn)
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots (about two medium carrots)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 125 g cream cheese, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- CARROT CAKE: Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160c).
- Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin, line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Sift flours, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and spice into a large bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, carrot and walnuts.
- Stir in the combined oil, cream and eggs until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into prepared cake tin and bake in a moderately slow oven for about one hour.
- Stand the cake for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire cake rack to cool.
- Top cake with Orange Frosting.
- ORANGE FROSTING: Beat the cheese and the rind in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the sifted icing sugar until smooth.