Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my favourite recipes that I have discovered. It is moist and tastes almost identical to the wheat containing carrot cake. It is without a doubt my favourite recipe from Robin Rybergs cookbook 'The Gluten free Kitchen'.
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup potato starch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed grated carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 3 drops milk
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for nuts and carrots. Mix well, being sure that no lumps remain in the batter.
- Mix in carrots and nuts.
- Pour batter into greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan.Bake 45-55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center tests clean.
- Note that this cake with have a bit of a dome when first removed from the oven. It will settle as it cools.
- For icing: Combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat very well. Add a few drops of milk as needed.
- Spread icing on cooled cake.Freeze extra portions.