Recipe by GlutenFreeGirl
This is one of my favourite recipes that I have discovered. It is moist and tastes almost identical to the wheat containing carrot cake. It is without a doubt my favourite recipe from Robin Rybergs cookbook 'The Gluten free Kitchen'.
Top Review by Lafinlepord
Very good....easy to make I did subsitute tapioca starch for the potato starch since that is what I had on had. And I subbed knox gelatin for the xanthan gum. Worked great. Will be making again and again. Thanks so much for giving me back my carrot cake. Gonna try it with zuchinni this summer. Yummmm
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup potato starch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed grated carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 3 drops milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for nuts and carrots. Mix well, being sure that no lumps remain in the batter.
- Mix in carrots and nuts.
- Pour batter into greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan.Bake 45-55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center tests clean.
- Note that this cake with have a bit of a dome when first removed from the oven. It will settle as it cools.
- For icing: Combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat very well. Add a few drops of milk as needed.
- Spread icing on cooled cake.Freeze extra portions.