Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
One of my daughters cannot have grain flour so here is the recipe. You don't know it is beets and it is good for you. Kids love it. Icing cream cheese or glaze or plain.Canned beets can be used or fresh.
- 2 cups ground fresh carrots
- 1 cup ground fresh beets or 1 cup canned beets, drained, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder (optional)
- Pam cooking spray
- In large mixing bowl, mix carrots, grated or ground beets, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla and hot water and only (1) of the extracts, if desired.
- Note: If using canned beets, make sure they are drained well, before cutting.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients: rice flour,salt, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda. Mix well.
- Add nuts.
- Beat Egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Add dry mixture into wet mixture, a little at a time, and mix well.
- Now add cocoa powder if you want a chocolate flavor.Any of the extracts go well with the chocolate.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Fold in beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Spray Pam into bundt pan, grease well.
- Carefully pour mixed batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Take out of oven and let set at least 10 minutes before inverting. I use a narrow spatula to run around the inside & outside of bundt pan.
- If using orange extract, decorate cake platter with thin slices of cut fresh oranges.