Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
I do not know the person named Dawn who posted Carol's Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chippies, but I thank her for it! I do not know the person in the Gluten-Free community who altered and tested the recipe, but I thank her too! I just wanted this recipe in print so that I can make it and not have to remember which ingredients were substituted and by how much...
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter (softened) or 1 cup margarine (softened)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (4 ounce) package gluten-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Sift rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca starch into a bowl.
- Mix baking soda with sifted flours and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugars and pudding mix.
- Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla; gradually add flour mixture.
- Stir in chips and nuts.
- Roll into balls and flatten slightly or drop by teaspoonful on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes.
- *Note: You may use instant chocolate pudding instead of vanilla pudding for an extra chocolatey, chocolate chip cookie.
These were a hit at my house! I am the only 1 that has to eat gluten free and could taste a bit of graininess but still very tasty. But this was easy to make and everyone loved them! Trying them with choc. pudding and butterscotch chips today!
when i developed all my food sensitivities after my 1st baby was born 2 yrs ago, i was so sad i could not make this original cookie recipe anymore. i love cookies & i could not find a gluten/dairy/egg free recipe that was very good. i am so thankful another "carol cookie" lover took the time to figure out this recipe. anyway i followed the recipe except i added 1/2 tsp salt, used raw sugar, dairy/soy free choco chips, 1/2 earth balance dairy/soy free butter & 1/2 organic palm fruit oil shortening (which i love in all my baking). i replace each egg with 1tlbs flax meal & 3tlbs warm water (mix for 3-5 min with mixer & set aside while measuring the other ingredients) Finally i top 1/2 the cookies with unsweetened coconut flakes. YUM! i was so happy with the same thick chewy inside & crispy outside as the original. Thankyou!!!
Very good taste. Even after a couple of days of being open to the air, they were still quite soft and tasty without the hard chewy gluten-free taste. It's only a little gritty in the mouth, but it's something that could be said of any cookie. I did use chocolate pudding like one reviewer was going to, and it turn out tasty. Thanks for the recipe.