Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe also comes from Judith Fertig's 200 Fast & Easy Artisan breads. I am posting it by request. Use half of the Easy Artisan Gluten-Free Dough, Easy Artisan Gluten-Free Dough. There are other glaze options in Easy Artisan Glaze with Variations Easy Artisan Glaze With Variations. The loose dough is harder to work with than a traditional wheat dough for cinnamon rolls, so follow the tips given in the recipe. The recipe was a little confusing as to the size of the rectangle & the rolls, so I have adjusted that in the directions. Bake in greased muffin tins. If you don't have a baking stone, you can still make artisan breads, just make sure your oven has preheated for at least 30 minutes & add 2 cups of hot water to a broiler pan. I will include this recipe in my shared Gluten-Free cookbook
1/2 recipe Prepared Easy Artisan Gluten-Free Dough
Caramel Apple Filling
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark_)
- 4 large apples (use tart apples such as Granny Smith or fuji)
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (also called confectioners or icing sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk (half & half or heavy whipping cream may be used)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Peel & dice apples.
- Melt butter in skillet over med-high heat, stir in brown sugar.
- Stir apples in & cook stirring frequently for about 12 minutes till apples are softened. Remove from heat & stir in lemon juice.
- Spray a piece of wax paper with nonstick spray.
- Put 1/2 of the piece of dough on wax paper.
- Using a wet spatula or wet hands spread dough into a 10 x 10 square.
- Spread half of the filling on dough square.
- Carefully lift one edge of the wax paper & scrape or nudge the dough over on itself to roll.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces & place cut side up in greased muffin tins.
- Cover with a teatowel & let rest for 40 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining dough & filling.
- For artisan baking, preheat oven to 350°. Heat baking stone on middle rack & broiler pan on lower rack for about 30 minutes while preheating oven.
- Place muffin tin on baking stone, pour 2 cups of hot water in broiler pan.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes,or until risen and lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Mix glaze ingredients together until smooth.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled rolls.