Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is #1 of 3 gluten-free cream soups. As written, these recipes are free of Corn, Wheat, Gluten, Soy, Egg, Yeast and Nuts. NOTE FROM SOURCE: Recipe soups are those soups that one would normally find canned. If you have food allergies, the chances of finding a canned soup you can use in recipes is slim. Besides the usual allergens, you will generaly also find MSG in almost all canned soup, even many of the "health food store" type. MSG is not always listed in that way. MSG frequently hides in foods in the form of "hydrolyzed vegetable protein," "autolyzed yeast," "spices," "flavorings," and other non-specific ingredients. Here are some "semi-condensed" soups you can make from scratch and keep in the freezer for those times when you have a recipe that calls for a canned soup.
- 3 cups chopped portabella mushrooms or 3 cups cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons tapioca flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- MAKES APPROX 3 CUPS "CONDENSED" MUSHROOM SOUP WHICH WILL WORK FOR MOST RECIPES CALLING FOR CANNED SOUP.
- Heat the butter on medium heat in a sauce pan.
- Add the mushrooms, and saute until cooked through.
- Add the sea salt, pepper, parsley.
- Cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Add the half and half.
- Allow the mixture to just come to a boil, then stir the tapioca flour into the water and add it to the milk.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
I'll have to work on the thickening of it, but I had to use Arrowroot instead. I don't know if Tapioca will thicken better or not. The flavor was wonderful. THANKS! I used Veg Broth instead of water.
easy and yummy! I used fat free half and half and was worried it might not taste as good. Well it was very good so I can only imagine how wonderful the full fat would be!!!
i also tried this for my green bean casserole for thanksgiving. I'm the only one who has to eat gluten free, so i offered to make the green beans so i could enjoy it this year. It was a hit!!! Everyone loved it, and they couldn't even tell that it was gluten free, infact they liked it better than the usual grn bean casserole dish.