If you like sweet, moist cornbread then this is the last recipe you'll ever need. My husband, who does not like cornbread, said "wow, this is really good" and he does not hand out comments like that often. Easy to make and super delicious! Recipe from thebakingbeauties.com You can reduce the amount of sugar if you like, and if your gluten free all purpose flour already has xanthan gum, you can omit that. You can also pour it into a greased, preheated cast iron skillet (or baking vessel of your choice) if you don't feel like making muffins. Turns out terrific, just increase the baking time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (if you're using a cast iron skillet, now is the time to add some oil or fat of your choice and put it in the oven to preheat).
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter. Stir in sugar.
- Add eggs and stir to combine.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until few lumps remain.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin (or pour into greased skillet/baking dish).
- Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (30-40 minutes in a skillet/baking dish).
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Best served warm.
Loved the taste and texture of this cornbread! Instead of making muffins or a loaf, I used it as a topping for a chili bake. I halved the recipe, and dropped spoonfuls of it on top of my chili in a 8" round casserole dish - my chili's a thick and chunky version, so the cornbread baked up very nicely on top. Baked for 40 minutes, until it was nicely browned. Even my husband, who is not a big cornbread fan, raved about the cornbread topping and went back for seconds. This is definitely a keeper!! And nobody would ever suspect it's gluten-free ;)