Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are some tasty pancakes! Buckwheat is NOT wheat, it's not even related to it and is fine for celiacs or others who are sensitive to wheat gluten. So enjoy! The gluten free flour can be my recipe for gluten free flour; http://www.recipezaar.com/110497 Or just use your favorite blend of rice flours, corn starch, tapioca flour or whatever works for you. These are great with fresh blueberries sprinkled on each cake once the first side has started cooking.
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- In a mixer, cream together brown sugar, butter, shortening.
- Add eggs one at a time making sure they are incorporated fully.
- Whip in canola oil, vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients in parts alternating with buttermilk.
- Mix fully scraping down sides and bottom of bowl as needed. If necessary, add a little milk to get the consistency of cake batter.
- Ladle 1/2 cup onto a griddle or skillet over low heat (grease with butter if needed), gently wiggle the griddle or skillet to level the batter out to desired roundness.
- Cook until bubbles form and stay on the top, then flip.
- Cook until done.
I've been making these almost every Sunday for five years so I'm updating my review.<br/>These are really tasty pancakes, even better than wheat flour pancakes. For the non-buckwheat flour I use a blend of brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch and we add blueberries or black currants. Sometimes I have to adjust the thickness of the batter but that's easy to do.<br/>I make four batches of the dry mixture at a time so all that's left is the wet ingredients. It makes it very quick to put together on the day.<br/>Thanks for posting the recipe.
Very tasty pancakes, they were approved by all members of the family. I reduced the sugar, used egg replacer , rice milk and oil instead of shortening. Thanks for a healthy recipe! Heidi