1/2 Photos of Gluten-Free Buckwheat Millet Bread
3 hrs 45 mins
Mia in Germany's Note:
I wanted something with buckwheat which didn't taste too overwhelmingly buckwheaty ;) So I came up with this. It's a rustic, dense bread which slices extremely well and gets eaten away by non-celiacs - sigh. Cooking time includes resting time of 2 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1 cup teff flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 1/2 cup pecans, ground
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 4 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 3/4 cup water, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1In a large bowl combine flours, starches, xanthan, 2 tablespoons psyllium husks, almond meal, seeds and ground pecans, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- 2Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water with one teaspoon agave syrup.
- 3Combine eggs, olive oil, the other half cup lukewarm water.
- 4Stir 4 tablespoons psyllium husks into 3/4 cup water. Stir well to dissolve, then immediately dump the dissolved husks into the egg-oil-water mixture and beat until you have a smooth cream.
- 5Pour dissolved yeast into flour mixture, then dump in egg mixture and start kneading with hands.
- 6It's important to knead by hand, because you have to feel if the dough becomes kneadable. If it's too dry, slowly add some more lukewarm water until you have a moist, but well kneadable dough.
- 7Knead at least 10 minutes on a starch dusted surface.
- 8Shape one round loaf, place loaf in a large bowl.
- 9Cover and let rest in a warm place for 2 hours.
- 10After 2 hours DON'T PUNCH THE DOUGH DOWN! Gently lift the risen loaf out of the bowl and place on a paper lined baking tray.
- 11Put the tray into the oven and heat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees Celsius.
- 12DON'T PREHEAT!
- 13Bake for 1 hour.
- 14After one hour, a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf should come out clean and the bottom of the loaf should sound hollow.
- 15Let cool on a wire rack. Unlike other gluten free breads, this one can be sliced and eaten warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten-Free Buckwheat Millet Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3216.9
- Calories from Fat 1767
- Total Fat 196.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 372.0 mg
- Sodium 8794.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 308.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 55.8 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 93.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: