Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This gravy is made in a pot on the stove top and is very easy. It took a while to tweak it but finally this recipe is the BOMB! You can also substitute gluten free chicken stock and omit soy sauce for a chicken gravy.
- 6 cups gluten-free beef stock or 6 cups gluten-free vegetable stock
- 6 baby carrots
- 1⁄2 celery rib (with leaves)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 4 medium fresh white mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 pinch ground thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup gluten-free cornstarch
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup water
- Place all ingredients except CORNSTARCH & WATER, in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook 1 hour (while your meal is cooking).
- Strain broth and remove bay leaves.
- Place all the rest of veggies and herbs in a food processor and add enough broth to puree to a smooth consistency.
- Pour both broth and puree back into pan, using a wooden spoon to deglaze the sides of the pan, this will brown your gravy and add to the rich flavor.
- Bring to a boil.
- In a cup make a SLURRY by mixing cornstarch with water and stir till fully dissolved.
- Add slurry to boiling broth and stir with a whisk to prevent lumps. Serve hot.
Very, very tasty! My DH says it is some of the best "pot likker" he's had! Thanks for posting!