Recipe by s'kat
Posted by request.
Top Review by GinnyP
I liked this dish. Next time, I will use a wider pot, rather than the deeper one I used, to get more surface area on top. Then I will make the dumplings much smaller, which will result in more of them. The dumplings were too big and doughy for my taste. It also made the serving size pretty big! :) I'll be able to cut the serving size in half with smaller dumplings.
- 1 quart fresh berries or 1 quart frozen berries
- 1 cup water, to just barely cover fruit
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 1⁄3 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place berries, water, sugar and lemon juice in 4-quart saucepan on stove.
- Bring to gentle boil while preparing dough.
- In mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter.
- Beat in the egg.
- Stir in buttermilk alternately with sifted dry ingredients.
- Do not overbeat- this will be a fairly stiff dough.
- Drop dough by 8 small spoonfuls onto the boiling fruit sauce.
- Cover, turn down to simmer, and cook without removing lid for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot in small bowls with fruit sauce spooned over the dumplings.
- Top with cream, whipped cream, or ice cream.