Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
We have an abundance of blackberries on our farm in July. I took an old Mennonite pie recipe, a crumble recipe and a gluten-free crust recipe and combined them to make this delicious seasonal dessert. If you're doing Weight Watchers, each piece of pie is 9 points.
- 1 cup bob's red mill gluten-free all purpose baking flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet white sorghum flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 4 cups blackberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Mix together gluten-free all purpose flour, sweet sorghum flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut the butter into chunks and, using your finger tips, work the butter into the dry ingredients to form a coarse meal.
- Make a well. Break the egg into the well.
- Add vinegar and use a fork to stir from the center, working the flour into the egg to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of wax or parchment paper. Roll it to about 10-12 inches in diameter and then stick it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, this will allow the dough to be hard enough to not stick to the paper when you need to peel it off.
- Peel off the paper, and put the pie dough into a pie pan, fluting the edges. Set aside.
- Combing the ingredients for the filling in a large bowl, pour into uncooked pie crust.
- Mix together ingredients for the crumble. Sprinkle crumb topping on top of the blackberry combination.
- Bake in preheated oven at 425 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 25-30 minutes.
Made my best pie ever with this recipe. I had to add some ice water to the crust recipe to get a soft dough, but it's a great crust. There were no pecans to be found in the pantry, but walnuts worked well in a pinch.
Delicious and a real treat for any berry lover! The sugar content is not too much, just perfect. Sometimes desserts can be too sweet, but this one is has the right amount. Enjoy an extra large piece without dessert guilt! Super easy and quick to make the filling. My husbands family raved about it at Thanksgiving.