Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
Rusks are a South African delicacy. They are similar to biscotti but thicker.
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups gluten-free flour, mix
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 2 1⁄2 cups sheep milk yoghurt (625 ml)
- 500 g soy margarine
- 5 ml salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free)
- 375 ml sugar
- Description of Gluten Free Flour: Freedom foods pre-mix all purpose flour Gluten Free (rice flour, maize starch,soy flour, soy fibre, guar gum 412, Cellulose 461, salt, sugar).
- Pre-heat oven 180°C.
- Cream butter and sugar.Add eggs one at a time.
- Sieve dry ingredients. Add yogurt to egg mixture and mix in with dry ingredients.
- This will make a very solid dough. Use two large greased baking pans. Bake for 55 min or till golden brown. Remove from heat, remove from pans. Let the breads cool slightly. Slice the bread into slices and then cut into fingers. Place on a drying rack and dry in oven on 90 degrees till the rusks are dry and hard.Let them cool off and place in an air tight container.
- Serve with coffee, Milo or tea. Dunk the rusks in the hot drink and eat. They are very moreish.
- Enjoy a little bit of South African cuisine on your own porch.
- Makes 40 rusks. Preparation time 1 hour.