Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted by request from the Gluten-free Forum. This recipe was sent in by a reader to the Australian Coeliac Society magazine June 2009 issue.Measurements are metric but cup measurements also given. stated that this is adequate batter for 500 grams of fish ( just over 1 pound) . I haven't tried this recipe yet. Batter requires one hour resting time
- 40 g besan flour, also known as chickpea flourr (1/3 cup)
- 40 g tapioca starch (1/4 cup)
- 100 g gluten-free all-purpose flour, use a ready purchased blended flour (1/2 cup)
- 40 g cornstarch, also known as maize cornflour in Australia (1/3 cup)
- 1 egg white
- 180 ml gluten-free beer (3/4 cup)
- Sift all dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the eggwhite and the beer together.
- Add the liquid mix into the flour and mix until smooth. You may need to add in a little more beer if the mixture is too thick. Allow this batter mixture to sit for one hour.
- Coat your fish or seafood in the batter and fry in hot oil until cooked through. Drain and serve.