Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My son has celiac disease. I have slowly experimented with his favorite recipes to create gluten-free versions that are also yummy enough for the non-celiacs to enjoy. This banana bread is extremely close to the original. Everyone gobbles it up, despite the pecans, which I add for a little extra nutrition.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 -4 bananas, brown and mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (I use Pamela's baking and pancake mix)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray or prep 1-2 loaf pans. (My family prefers thin bread, so I make this into 2 loaves).
- In small bowl, combine oats & applesauce, set aside.
- In large bowl, mix butter & sugar together. Add eggs, bananas, vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- In small bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, xanthan gum).
- Add oats & applesauce to wet ingredients, combine well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stir just until combined.
- Fold in pecans, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake 35-45 minutes (less for 2 small loaves, more for one large loaf).