Recipe by ukichix
From Roben Ryberg's "The Gluten Free Kitchen" These bagels are easy, tasty, and amazingly light!
Top Review by gourmet gluten free chef
These bagels were great. I was a little skeptical at first because of the flour mixture, but the texture was better than I expected. I substituted tapioca flour for the cornstarch, used dairy free milk replacer, as well as egg replacer and they turned out great. Because I made my bagels larger I only got 3, so next time I will make a double batch so I can freeze the extras.
- 2⁄3 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°F and put a pot of salted water on to boil.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, yeast and sugar.
- Stir well to dissolve yeast.
- Mix in egg.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well to remove all lumps.
- Divide dough into 6 disks, press a hole in middle of each disk and shape into bagels. (these will rise quite a bit - so be sure to make a big hole).
- Gently place bagels into boiling water. Boil bagels (I boil each separate) for approx 1 minute.
- Remove bagles from water and place on a greased baking sheet or one sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Bake 15-18 mins or until golden brown.