Recipe by LARavenscroft
A wonderfully moist gluten free cake. This makes a one layer 9-inch cake.
Top Review by **Jubes**
*Reviewed for Read, Set Cook! #10 Contest* This was a wonderful gluten free cake- delicious taste and wonderfully moist. Very quick and easy to make. Straightforward instructions that were well written.Used 5 apples for this recipe. A great change from carrot cake. The pecans and spices were a great addition to this cake. Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing a great recipe. It was great to see a gluten-free recipe submitted for the competition. Photo to be posted later.
For the Cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups Pamelas ultimate baking and pancake mix (or 2 cups AP GF flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon baking soda)
- 2 cups baking apples, peeled & diced (I used Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 -5 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 lb powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add oil, applesauce, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon; beat well.
- Stir in baking mix.
- Add apples, raisins, and pecans and stir just until combined.
- Pour into greased cake pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly and remove from pan.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting.
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Add maple syrup and then powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Add more maple syrup, if necessary.
- Frost cake when completely cool.