Recipe by Tisme
I found this recipe in a newspaper and immediately thought of a fantastic lady **Jubes**, who likes to cook gluten free, and has some great gluten free recipes for any-one who has an intolerance. I have been lucky enough to have found and since converse with **Jubes** through here Recipe Zaar, and I sent her this Gluten free recipe, which **Jubes** made for herself and her family. Both **Jubes and I think it would work well with regular flour, but as yet I have not tried (but am going to). This recipe is called a cake, but **Jubes** suggests its more of a pudding type cake, but also says its super easy to make!!! So I have **Jubes** to thank for this recipe being posted!!!!! Thanks Mate!!!!
Top Review by Dwynnie
I'm not sure what happened, but my cake did not cook. I used a 9 inch round pan and baked it at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes before reducing the oven to 300 degrees F for another 45 and though it was golden and tested done, the center was raw when I cut into it. I made the cake substituting 2 (drained) cans of sweet cherries for the apples and the flavor was great--I will try this again and maybe bake at 325 and make sure the eggs are fully up to room temperature. Thank you!
- 4 apples
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 200 g morello pitted cherries, drained
- cinnamon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180c. Line 22cm cake tin with baking paper. Peel apples and slice into thin pieces.
- Whisk eggs, lemon zest and sugar until thick and creamy (about 8 minutes).
- GraduallY fold in flour. The batter should be the consistency of sour cream.
- Pour oil in the pan.
- Arrange apples and cherries in the bottom of oiled pan. Pour the batter evenly over the fruit.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes or until golden and cooked when tested.
- Rest cake on rack for about 5 minutes before turning cake upside down on to a plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve warm with whipped cream.