Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A recipe I have got from Better Homes and Gardens, which I am going to try soon.
- 6 medium green apples, peeled
- 500 g dark brown sugar
- 350 g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs, separated
- 100 g rice flour
- 200 g almond meal
- 150 g hazelnut meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 170°C Cut the apples into eights and combine in a frying pan with 150g sugar and 50g butter. Cook over a medium heat until the apples are softened, then divide the apples and syrup between two lined loaf pans.
- Place the remaining butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed for 5 minutes, until very light, then fold in the egg yolks. Mix in the rice flour and nuts gently.
- Whisk the whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks and fold in gently, then spoon over the apples and bake for 40 minutes until a skewer can be inserted and removed cleanly. Cool on a wire rack.