1/3 Photos of Gluten-Free Anzac Biscuit
In my quest to bake a gluten-free ANZAC biscuit, I have replaced oats (not considered gf in Australia) with rolled quinoa flakes and the flour with a blended gf flour and sorghum flour. I also added in some gf Freedom Foods "Rice Puff" cereal to make them a little lighter (this cereal is like Rice Bubbles). I've made a few batches now making slight changes each time......I'm happy with this version. My family said it's not bad for a gluten-free version....but not quite an Anzac biscuit. Made using Australian cup and spoon measures. I managed to buy some sorghum flour labelled as Jowar flour at a local Indian grocer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup rolled quinoa (rolled quinoa flakes)
- 3/4 cup gluten-free blended flour (I use Orgran brand)
- 1 cup gluten-free rice bubbles (I used Freedom Foods Rice Puffs)
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour or 1/2 cup soy flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 200 g butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tablespoons boiling water
- 1Preheat oven to 170°C for a fan-forced oven or 185°C Line cookie trays with Glad Bake baking paper (no need to grease the paper).
- 2Mix the coconut, quinoa flakes, flours, sugars and Rice Puff cereal in a large mixing bowl - set aside.
- 3Melt the butter and golden syrup together using a small saucepan.
- 4Meanwhile in a cup mix the boiling water with the bicarb soda.
- 5Add the water and soda to the melted butter. The mixture will foam up.
- 6Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- 7Roll into walnut sized balls and flatten the biscuit between your palms.
- 8Bake on a lined cookie tray for approx 15 to 20 minutes. The biscuit should be a dark golden brown.
- 9Cool on trays for 5 minutes before moving onto a rack to cool. The biscuits will firm as they cool. Store in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten-Free Anzac Biscuit
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 45
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 84.0
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 9.5 mg
- Sodium 95.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 0.9 g