Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A homemade, gluten and dairy-free, version of the cream of mushrooms soups you would find in the grocery store. Ghee, also known as clarified butter, is lactose free.
- 5 cups mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup rice milk or 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1. In saucepan, cook mushrooms, broth and thyme until mushrooms are tender.
- 2. Blend mixture in blender, leaving some chunks of veggies in it. Set it to the side.
- 3. In saucepan, melt the butter, and whisk the flour until smooth. Add salt and pepper, rice milk and mushroom puree. Stirring consistently, bring to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasoning to individual taste, and add sherry.
My DF/GF son wanted tuna noodle casserole, so after a little research I found this. Substituted it for the canned cream of mush soup and it turned out fabulous. Used dairy free margarine in place of the ghee.
I was thrilled to actually find a gluten-free AND dairy-free recipe for cream of mushroom soup! Then I read the ingredients and didn't know what GHEE was so I googled it. Ghee is butter! How is that dairy free? signed still looking for a recipe
Unfortunately, with the BUTTER in the recipe, it's not a dairy free recipe. You could substitute a lactose-free margarine instead, like Nucoa.