Recipe by happydaykg
I used the South Beach Muffin recipe as a base and came up with this variation. It can be used for toast or sandwiches. I like this bread because it's fast and easy. It tastes like a hearty whole grain bread without the gluten and you can make only as much as you need.
Top Review by Lumberjackie
This has better texture and taste than any other gluten-free breads that I've tasted. I've always preferred hearty, whole-grain style breads, and I really don't like rice-flour based options - this is a great alternative. I also add salt and, like zaar junkie, I find that its taste and texture become less 'eggy' as it cools. I keep all of the ingredients on hand, so it comes together very quickly. Great for sandwiches and burgers.
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon toasted and chopped sunflower seeds or 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed butter or 1 tablespoon peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together really well.
- Grease a flat bottom glass bowl, dish or pan such as Pyrex or Corningware that is about 6" wide across the middle.
- Pour batter into the dish. (the batter should be about 1/2 inch thick).
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds.
- Remove and tip over onto a cooling rack.
- When cooled slice it across into 2 slices of bread about 6 inches round and 3/8" thick. It's very easy to do this even though it's fairly thin.