1/2 Photos of Gluten Free 60% Whole Grain Hamburger Buns Recipe (Or Bread)
Chef# 616082's Note:
I didn't actually do the math but these buns taste like the bread we used to comprise on. Healthy enough for Mom but still fluffy enough for the family to enjoy. This recipe was, as all successful multigrain bread recipes I've read have been, inspired by Heather Butt and Donna Washburn of 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes. I freeze them as soon as they are cool and when I pull them out they are as good as new. If you are baking gluten free and haven't bought muffin top pans yet, I have to say, besides my mixer, they have been my best gluten free investment. This recipe makes one 4 1/2 by 9 loaf and one bun if you prefer bread and doubles very well if you want bread and buns. Since I started using this recipe my gluten eating husband doesn't buy bread anymore.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup almonds or 1/4 cup walnuts, ground
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup teff, ground
- 2/3 cup starch, tapioca, corn, potato or 2/3 cup arrowroot
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oats, ground
- 1/4 cup flax seed, ground
- 1/2 ounce chia seeds, ground (1 tablespoon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup water, 115 degrees
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 ounce chia seeds, ground (two tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup water, room temperature
- 1Place the 1/2 cup of room temperature water in a cup and mix in the ounce of ground chia. Stir well and set aside.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (including the 1/2 ounce of ground chia) and mix well.
- 3In a mixer with a regular paddle attachment, combine liquids, including the wet chia mixture and beat until well blended.
- 4With mixer on lowest setting, add dry ingredients a cup at a time. Stop machine and scrape bottom and sides. Turn up mixer to medium-high and let run for 4 minutes.
- 5Spoon into greased muffin top pans with large ice cream scoop. Level with a spoon warmed in hot water and let rise for 30 to 45 minutes or until almost double in size.
- 6Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes for buns or 45 minutes to an hour for bread. Inside temperature should be between 210 and 212.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free 60% Whole Grain Hamburger Buns Recipe (Or Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (797 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.7
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 354.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: