Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Wonderful vegetarian casserole adapted for the gluten and dairy free diet. The fresh vegetables can be easily used instead of their canned/ frozen counterparts.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 lb tofu
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add onion & saute 3 minutes Add garlic; saute 1 minute Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, tomato sauce, oregano, basil, pepper, and salt, while breaking up tomatoes. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes or until it thickens a bit.
- Meanwhile cook rice in boiling water. Drain any access liquid when done and return to pot.
- Mix tofu, olive oil, nutmeg, and seasoned salt in blender.
- Heat oven to 375°F; coat 11x7x2 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir spinach, peas, and corn into skillet with vegetable mixture. Cook 5 minutes Add vegetable mixture and tofu mixture to rice. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Bake in 375°F oven for 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Absolutely delicious!! This is the first thing I've found that resembles the savory cheesiness of lasagna since I've had to go gluten/dairy free. Thank you so much! We made the recipe as is (no alterations at all) and sprinkled a little Daiya cheese on top. Perfect. Cook it up, all! GFCF!