Recipe by Barucha
Modified from the recipe by Ruth Grube, these are some tasty muffins! My daughter is allergic to dairy, soy and gluten and these are a great treat for her. I like this combination of flours because rice flour tends to dry out baked goods while quinoa flour makes them more moist... keep this in mind if you plan to substitute other flours! If you can't find quinoa flour, you can make some by grinding whole quinoa seeds in a food processor or coffee grinder, just make sure to clean the grinder first. These could easily be made vegan by replacing the eggs and using vegan sugar!
- 1⁄2 cup dairy-free soy-free margarine, softened (I like Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked mashed sweet potato
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk (use light if you like)
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder (I use Clabber Girl)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans (optional) or 1⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- You can bake, boil, microwave or steam the sweet potatoes. I personally like to bake them, let them cool, and then slice them in half and scoop the meat out with a large spoon. Mash the meat up and make sure there are no strings--nobody likes a stringy muffin!
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream the margarine until it is light and fluffy. Slowly add the sugar and beat on medium speed. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the sweet potato mash and coconut milk to the egg mixture. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the rice flour, quinoa flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in the dried fruit and nuts if using.
- Grease a muffin tin with a bit more margarine. Spoon the batter into the cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Combine an additional 2 tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and sprinkle generously over muffins.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.