Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
For those of us who love fresh baked, warm scones, but cannot have regular wheat and dairy-laden ones. You can alter this recipe to suit your tastes by changing the type of spices and fruit that you add. (BTW: Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Biscuit Mix already contains salt and baking powder so you do not need to add any more.)
- 1 cup bob's red mill gluten free biscuit and baking mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 apple, chopped
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the Bob's Red Mill Biscuit Mix, Brown Sugar, and the Cinnamon.
- Add the Shortening and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in Almond Milk, Egg, and Chopped Apple. Do not over-mix.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Makes 8 drop scones.
- Sprinkle Cinnamon-Sugar Topping over scones.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes or until tops are very lightly browned.
- Serve warm with jam.
This is a great easy recipe! I've doubled it each time I've made it. The 1st time I used Bob's Red Mill but the bean flour taste was a bit too obvious for me. The 2nd time I used Arrow Mill GF baking mix and I thought they turned out so much better. I used frozen blackberries instead of apples; they were amazing. In a gluten and dairy free household, great baked goods are in demand. This is my new go-to scone and biscuit recipe.